Advances in the technology used for imaging (like x-rays and MRIs) means that there is increasing demand for radiologic technicians in Western Massachusetts. There will also be a future need for more specialized training for these professionals.
Radiologic technologists perform X-ray examinations, mammograms, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scans, and Computed Tomography (CT) scans.
- Use high technology equipment to test and diagnose patients
- Use skilled manual techniques to examine and analyze medical samples
- Interact with patients and families during scans
Employment opportunities can be found in:
Education and training requirements
Radiologic technologists graduate from a two-year associate’s degree program, as well as pass a certification exam.
Radiologic technicians or “Rad Techs” are also expected to have:
- A high comfort level with technology
- Up-to-date knowledge of laboratory technology
- Training in chemistry, biology, mathematics and statistics
Western MA Fast Facts
- Workers in Pioneer Valley: 470
- Education Requirements: Associates degree
- Entry Level Wage: $24/hour
- Experienced Wage: $34/hour
- Learn more at VCN.org
You may also like: