Medical and Health Services Managers
Managers with strong leadership skills are in demand with for many Western Massachusetts employers in a variety of settings.
Medical records and health services manager is a broad category of careers that encompasses a number of different job titles, including hospital administrators, assisted living administrators, clinical directors, community health directors, and many more.
Duties and responsibilities for these positions vary widely, but all have an overall responsibility to plan, direct, coordinate and supervise medical and health services for their organization.
Medical and health services managers:
- Ensure a high level of patient care by directing, supervising and evaluating personnel
- Manage the overall success of a health care organization through management of budgets, accurate reporting and developing plans and procedures
Employment opportunities can be found in:
- Doctors’ offices
- Nursing care facilities
- Home health care services
- Outpatient care centers
Education and training requirements
A bachelor’s degree is required, and employers generally prefer a master’s degree in public health, health education, health information technology, business planning or a related field. There are no state license requirements for this career.
Health services managers are also expected to have:
- Strong leadership and management skills
- A working knowledge of health care policy, as well as the local and regional healthcare system
- Skills in math, finances and budgeting
Western MA Fast Facts
- Workers in Pioneer Valley: 810
- Education Requirements: Bachelors degree
- Entry Level Wage:$36/hour
- Experienced Wage:$58/hour
- Learn more at VCN.org