Medical billers are among the critical occupations for Western Massachusetts employers because their work is directly tied to receiving the correct financial reimbursements for services from health insurers.
Medical billing clerks are responsible for compiling and maintaining records of charges for goods and services rendered at any health care facility and preparing invoices. Another major responsibility for a medical billing clerks is to contact insurance companies to determine reimbursements. Other responsibilities may include handling follow-up questions from patients, resolving discrepancies or errors, and ensuring that all billing and accounting records are kept in a safe place.
Medical billers use a diagnosis coding language in their day-to-day work. There will be revisions in the coding language (from ICD-9 to ICD-10) by October 1, 2014, and will impact the training that new and current workers need.
- Ensure health care providers are properly reimbursed for services by coding all diagnosis and medical services provided to the patient
Employment opportunities can be found in:
- Companies specializing in medical coding or billing services
- Local Medical Billing Companies
Education and Training:
Becoming a medical biller requires a high school diploma or GED and either a certificate or associate’s degree.
Medical billers are also expected to have:
- A solid understanding of medical terminology, including anatomy
- Understanding of and compliance with security rules and procedures, especially HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)
- Good communications skills to interact with physicians, nurses, patients and their families
Western MA Fast Facts for Medical Coders and Billers
- Workers in Pioneer Valley: 380
- Education Requirements: Certificate
- Entry Level Salary: $28,101
- Median Salary: $40,530
- Experienced Salary: $46,920
- Learn more at VCN.org
- Medical Billing and Medical Coding Articulation Agreement between HCC and STCC
- Western MA Direct Care Worker Gap Analysis Report
- AHIMA Career and Student Center
- American Health Information Management Association
- Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education
- Massachusetts Health Information Management Association