Skilled Nursing Facilities
Caring for physical and emotional needs
Skilled nursing facilities provide personal, rehabilitative and preventative care for the elderly, disabled, and others who need 24-hour care. Individuals can stay in skilled nursing facilities for either short or long periods of time when they need help with basic care, as well as more advanced care.
Skilled nursing facilities serve as a source of transitional care between a hospital stay and a patient’s return to their home. This is increasingly true as the length of the average hospital stay decreases annually. Long-term residents of a skilled nursing facility are able to receive the care and community that they require when they are unable to receive such safely in their home.
Career opportunities in skilled nursing facilities
Skilled nursing facilities offer a range of employment opportunities, including entry-level positions to advanced and specialized careers. However, anyone who works in a skilled nursing facility must have a desire to work with the elderly and have good communication skills.
Download the Healthcare News home care/skilled nursing facilities list
Occupations in skilled nursing facilities can include:
- Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Nurse Practitioners
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Dietary Aides
What is it like to work in a skilled nursing facility?
Working in a skilled nursing facility can be rewarding for those looking to make a difference, since it requires caring for the whole person. Nursing facilities offer opportunities to connect with patients on an emotional level, as well as treating their physical needs.
These facilities operate 24-hours a day, seven days a week, so work schedules can be demanding. Also, those working in direct patient care in a skilled nursing facility will most likely need to lift patients and perform other physically demanding tasks.
Skilled Nursing Facility Partnership Employers
- Fairview Commons Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Farren Care Center
- Genesis Healthcare/Heritage Hall
- Hillcrest Commons Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Jewish Geriatric Services
- Kimball Farms Nursing Care Center
- Loomis Communities
- Life Care Center of Wilbraham
- Mt. Greylock Extended Care Facility
- North Adams Commons Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Williamstown Commons Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
or visit our Full Employer Directory
Current trends for careers in skilled nursing facilities:
- From 2010 to 2011, jobs providing services to the elderly experienced the greatest growth in the health care industry.
- Opportunities are expected to continue to grow as the elderly population triples over the next few decades.