Western Massachusetts healthcare employers need more than technical skills. They are looking for a reliable workforce that cares about patients, the community and the work of the organization.
Professional traits that are particularly important to healthcare employers are:
- Reliability: Healthcare is a very team-oriented profession, and even people who you don’t see are depending on you and your work.
- Integrity: There are high standards for acceptable behavior in healthcare, and both patients and co-workers need you to be ethical, fair and responsible for your actions.
- Adaptability and Flexibility: Healthcare changes rapidly, so you need to keep up with changes in the industry, changes in technology and changes in procedures that keep patients safe and healthy.
- Interpersonal Skills: Good communication skills as well as concern and respect for others are all key to being both a team player and being effective at your job – even if you aren’t dealing directly with patients.
- Compassion: In healthcare, you are often seeing patients at their worst. Staying calm and compassionate towards patients is important, even when they are difficult or the situation is tense.